The Thinkspace system allows you to set up permissions for a few different levels of users on the websites. There are user accounts for customers where they can edit account settings and wishlists but can not access the admin of the site (these are created by customers on the front end of the site). There are admin-level users who only have certain assigned permissions regarding what types of items they will be able to add, edit or delete (called Staff Status). There are also admin-level users who have permissions to add, edit or delete anything on the site (called Superuser Status). Below are some instructions for how to allow users access for Staff Status and Superuser Status accounts:
- Sign into the admin of your account.
- Go to Users --> Users and then choose "Add User"
- Fill in the account details for the user. The only required fields are Username, Password, Full Name and Email. If you want to fill in anything more, you're welcome to but only items in bold are required to set up the account.
- When you've finished filling in the account details make sure to hit "Save and Continue Editing" rather than just "Save." This is important to prompt the next window where you can choose specific permissions.
- The next page is called "Change User" and where you will see a section called "Permissions." There are 3 boxes that you can enable based on the level of permission you would like the user to have. When "Active" is enabled it just means that the user has an account on the site. Any of your customers who make their own accounts will be set as "Active" only since they do not have permission to access the admin side. "Staff Status" enables the user to log in to the admin of the site but you will need choose specific items that they are allowed to edit otherwise they will be able to login to the admin but if they try to click anything on the Dashboard, they will get an error. "Superuser Status" means the user has access to everything and doesn't need to have specific permissions to make edits in the admin. When you want someone to have Superuser Status make sure to enable a 3 check boxes. Since you want Joe to have access to everything, I've checked off all 3 boxes for him.
- The section called "Available User Permissions" is where you would choose the specific items you want someone to access. This section is only necessary for users who were given "Staff Status" only. For this example, I'm giving the user access to only add and edit pages and menu items. I searched for the word "pages" in the filter section with the magnifying glass and then looked for Pages - Page - Can Add Page, Pages - Page - Can Change Page, Pages - Menu Item - Can Add Menu Item, and Pages - Menu Item - Can Change Menu Item. Once you've highlighted the items you want to allow, make sure to press the right facing arrow so that those items will be added to the "Chosen User Permissions" section. (The verbiage in this section is understandably confusing so if you ever need help finding the correct permission you need, just let me know and I'll tell you which item is appropriate.)
- Once you've set up the level access you'd like the user to have, make sure to Save!
- Note that you can always go in to any user's account and change their permissions at any time. Just go back to Users --> Users and click on the email address of the person you're trying to edit and you will be presented with the same options for permissions as you see above.