In this article you will learn how to add, hide, delete and rearrange menu items. Menu items are your website's navigation, and the primary way your customers will find what they are looking for. To get started login to your site's Admin.
Once you're logged in:
- Navigate to Content > Menu Items
First you will need to determine whether you have a Static menu or a Mega menu. The easiest way to determine this is:
- Static: The first menu will be called 'Main Default'. If you see this, please continue with the instructions below.
- Mega: The first menu will be called 'Main Mega Menu'. If you see this, please click here to view our Mega Menu article.
To add a new menu item:
- Click "Add" then "Menu Item" in the top-right of this page.
- In the "Name" field put what you want the menu item to be, ex: "Engagement" or "About Us"
- The slug field will auto-populate, leave it be.
- Assign a "Page Link" or paste a link into the "Web Link" field*, not both.
*Note: If still in development, do not put a full dev site URL into the Web Link field. Instead only put everything after the ".com" including the first forward slash ('/').
- The "Target" should remain the default of "Opens in Same Window" unless you are linking to a third-party website, in which case we recommend you change it to "Opens in New Window".
- The "Position" and "Relative To" drop-downs determine where your menu item lives in relation to all the other menu items.
Fields commonly left blank/unaltered when creating a menu item: Status, Status changed, Description, Icon, CSS Class. Do not worry about putting something in these fields.
To hide a menu item you may want to use at a later date:
- Click on the menu item
- From the "Status" drop-down select "inactive" and click "Save"
To delete a menu item that you'll never want to use again:
- On the Menu Items landing page, check the box next to the menu item you wish to delete.
- From the "Action" dropdown select "Delete selected menu items" and click "Apply".
To rearrange menu items you have two options:
Learn more about the "Parent/Child Relationship" as it pertains to menu items and the following instruction.
- On the Menu Items landing page, click + hold the three horizontal bars next to the delete check-box, then drag the menu item above or below the menu item you want it to live next to. Release the hold on the menu item when you see a thin purple line exactly where you want the menu item to live. This is an auto-save - you do not need to click "Save" anywhere. This option will look like the following screenshot:
If you see a thick purple bar, this means you are moving the menu item to be a Child of whatever menu item is highlighted in purple. Again, an auto-save.
Do not put a Child under a Child. This means your navigation is three levels deep and this is not recommended. Parents and Children. Not: Grandparents, Parents and Children. Capiche? :)
- On the Menu Items landing page, click the name of the menu item you wish to move. Use the "Position" and "Relative to" drop-downs at the bottom of the menu item to designate where the menu item should live.
"First Child Of" - use this if the menu item you are editing will be the first menu item to live under another.
"Before" - use this if the menu item you are editing should come before another (you will choose the other menu item in the next drop-down).
"After" - use this if the menu item you are editing should come after another (you will choose the other menu item in the next drop-down).
Select the menu item you want the one you're currently editing, to come before, after, or the become the first child of.