In this article you will learn how to create a General content page, such as a page for a service you offer, your company's history, etc., on your website. The Page Options of a General page type allow you to control the layout of the page.
To get started login to your site's Admin.
Creating A General Content Page
You can utilize the 'General' Page Type/Template to create your own content page.
To Create A Content Page
- Navigate to Content > Pages
- Click "Add Page" in the top-right
- From the "Page Type/Template' drop-down select 'General'.
QUICK TIP: Instead of scrolling to find it, click the drop-down then start typing "general" - when it comes up, click on it.
- Fill out the rest of the required fields - only bold fields are required.
- Click "Save & Continue Editing"
NOTE: Every General page type will default to a Page Layout of Full Width. Full Width pages will auto-center all text and images, regardless of the styling you apply to the text. Generally, this is not preferred so to change the Page Layout...
HOW TO CHANGE THE PAGE LAYOUT
- Click "Edit Options"
- Un-check the 'Full Width' box and then click "Save & Continue Editing"
- Once the page refreshes, from the Page Layout Value Dropdown select your preferred layout option.
NOTE: Below, see visual references for the four Page Layout options of the General Page Type/Template.
- Once you've selected your Page Layout click "Save". This will bring you back to the area where you can start to add Widgets (which hold your content) to Docks, which hold widgets.
HOW TO ADD CONTENT TO YOUR NEW PAGE
- Click on the "Select A Dock" dropdown
- Choose the 'Content' dock
- From the Widget Library near the top of the page, click + drag (do not let go of the click), then drop the widget you want to use in the empty space under the Dock dropdown. *See Attachment 1 for visual reference.*
NOTE: The most-widely used widget is called 'Rich Content'. If you're just adding text and/or an image or two, the Rich Content widget is your best bet.
- Once you see the Rich Content widget sitting below the selected Content dock (as pictured in previously mentioned Attachment 1), click on that same Rich Content widget. Doing so will open an empty editor which you can use to add your content.
If you chose a Page Layout of either Sidebar Right or Sidebar Left:
- Use the Dock dropdown and select the 'Sidebar' Dock to add content to your sidebar.
If you chose a Page Layout of Columns:
This Page Layout can be most-useful if you want your content to take up a set amount of horizontal space, and/or you want other content to easily sit beside it, differently spaced than just using a sidebar for other said content. See a live demo example of this here.
- Add as many widgets (and put their content in them) as you want to sit side-by-side, under the Content dock. In the above example, there's two widgets. *See Attachment 2 for visual reference.*
IMPORTANT NOTE: You have 12 columns to work with. See below to help visualize the twelve columns.
- Every widget has a field for 'CSS Class'. In this field indicate how much horizontal room (how many columns) you want each widget to take up. Your options are: Col-1, Col-2, Col-3, Col-4, Col-5, Col-6, Col-7, Col-8, Col-9, Col-10, Col-11.
PRO TIP: Do not put content in less than a 3-column wide widget. Generally, it just looks weird.
PRO TIP: It is very uncommon these days to see a left-handed sidebar on content pages. We highly recommend a 'Columns' Page Layout for one-off pages, and a 'Sidebar Right' Page Layout for a new page belonging to a larger section of a website, such as Services or Education.
NOTE: Once your widgets add up to 12, it will automatically begin another row of content. A CSS Class left blank on a page using the Columns Page Type, will default to using all 12 columns.
- Do not forget to SAVE your widget before navigating to another or leaving the page, otherwise you will lose your changes!
- Check your work by clicking the "View on site" button near the upper-right hand corner. This will open the page you have created/been editing on the front-end.
Page Layout Options
Click each image to view them larger.
Follow these instructions in video format: https://files.thinkspacehq.com/index.php/s/KJwdaSjfSrKx9kT
* Note there is no sound.